Re: Unsupported nroff macros on MacOS X

From: Steffen Nurpmeso
Subject: Re: Unsupported nroff macros on MacOS X
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2023 01:32:19 +0200

George Michaelson wrote in
 <CAM2GGymR6=-Xo21Vvd=4T3Q7BYP_xqj=V=1qmFA12fYNfj+kEQ@mail.gmail.com>:
 |Not to prolong the agony, I tried the example on OSX for man tbl:
 |
 |              .TS
 |              tab(@);
 |              ccc.
 |              This@is@centered
 |              Well,@this@also
 |              .TE
 |
 |It didn't work with the nroff -man they supply. It did work with mandoc

It surely works with "tbl FILE|nroff|more" if there is tbl and
nroff.  Or solely "groff -tTascii FILE|more".

 |So my summary of understanding so far:

Yes i think so.  Note that in

  Hello world.$
  $
  This^Iis^Icentered$
  .sp 0$
  This^Iis^Icentered$
  $
  Well,^Ithis^Ialso$
  $
  Hey.$
  This not$

mandoc deviates from groff unless .ta is used as in

  Hello world.$
  $
  .ta 4 8$
  This^Iis^Icentered$
  .sp 0$
  This^Iis^Icentered$
  $
  Well,^Ithis^Ialso$
  $
  Hey.$
  This not$

Ie better set tabs explicitly.  Now.  I am not an expert, and my
mandoc is very old, things might have changed.

  $ ll $(command -v mandoc)
  -rwxr-xr-x 1 steffen steffen 1176552 Apr 13  2019 /usr/local/bin/mandoc*

--steffen