Re: Unsupported nroff macros on MacOS X

From: Steffen Nurpmeso
Subject: Re: Unsupported nroff macros on MacOS X
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2023 01:01:04 +0200

Ken Hornstein wrote in
 <20230403223814.692AA1F2ADD@pb-smtp21.pobox.com>:

 |>> I guess my next question is ... what do we do after that?
 |>
 |>I thought if we ran it through with man (nroff/groff) to ascii, then \
 |>we'd get
 |>asciidoc format essentially.  At which point there are tools that \
 |>deal with
 |>further transformations.
 |
 |I ... am not sure that is correct?  The man page examples I see suggest
 |it is closer to something like Markdown.  E.g.:
 |
 |https://docs.asciidoctor.org/asciidoctor/latest/manpage-backend/

Mind you there is this terrible trend in the OSS scene to not even
include manuals no more.  I am *so* delighted that the BTRFS guys
do again for their "progs" (and i could exaggerate a bit that it
possibly has something to do with me asking for this in IRC).
But they all convert to other formats and then leave it to
packagers to convert that to manuals .. or not even that.  Others
do so themselves at least, and provide the balls (git for
example).

This leads to cynical situations.  For example "ipcalc" of RedHat:

  0c09c6c78920290aaa1c3b91c596834080fbf0b0
  2020-06-18 14:50:15 +0200
  ipcalc.1: converted to markdown

  b2003892e7ddaed77a309882bcba06cea31cda0a
  2020-06-24 21:51:54 +0200
  ipcalc.1: removed
  322294d7bf61f9fdf0e45e9b6c6013a7c6a35bfd
  2020-10-14 18:33:24 +0000
  Do not fail to build if ronn is missing
[..the converter that is..]
  f14f19f7fbdb83d7ba2cef5de758c649abdce1e8
  2022-11-12 11:07:24 +0100
  updated manual to comply with ronn syntax

HA-HA-HA!!  Somewhat broken for 2 1/2 years.
What a mess.

Good night from Germany.

--steffen