Re: Unsupported nroff macros on MacOS X

From: Ken Hornstein
Subject: Re: Unsupported nroff macros on MacOS X
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2023 16:05:07 -0400

>> I am kinda against depending on some third-party tool
>
>Where does built-in turn into third-party?  With all the modern package
>managers, it's trivial to install other tools as needed.

That's a fair question!  And one I struggle with.  One thing that is
common is we do make a distinction between what DEVELOPERS are required
to have versus what end-users are required to have.  E.g.: you need
autoconf/automake/flex to build it from the git repo, but you do not
need any of that to build from a distribution tar file.  Something
similar could be done with man pages.  Nmh is a "traditional" tool
and we generally have the goal of sticking to "traditional" support
tools, but I acknowledge there is no good definition here and it's
kind of arbitrary what is traditional and what isn't.

In a more practical sense, I am not sure there is anyone with the free
cycles to convert the current man pages into some other markup language.
Yes we could convert the man pages to HTML, but I am not sure there's
a way to convert back.  If I am wrong please let me know.