Re: mhfixmsg character set conversion

From: David Levine
Subject: Re: mhfixmsg character set conversion
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2022 17:36:17 -0800

Steven wrote:

> Quick question:  would it help if I were to run mhfixmsg under control of
> strace and send you the output?  That's the most definitive way I can think
> of to show you exactly what happens in my environment.

We could try, but I'd prefer if you try to extract relevant pieces
from the strace output.

I'm unable to replicate your problem here with the original message,
and using your mhfixmsg invocation, mhfixmsg-format-text/html, and
locale.  The only piece I think I'm missing is your mime_helper.
I would give that a try if you send it to me.

With nmh-1.7 mhfixmsg:
mhfixmsg: /home/levine/src/nmh/msg part 2, decode text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1
mhfixmsg: /home/levine/src/nmh/msg part 1, will not decode because it
is binary (line length > 998)
mhfixmsg: /home/levine/src/nmh/msg part 2, convert UTF-8 to UTF-8

With HEAD mhfixmsg:
mhfixmsg: /home/levine/src/nmh/msg part 2, decode text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1
mhfixmsg: /home/levine/src/nmh/msg part 1, will not decode because it
is binary (line length > 998)
mhfixmsg: /home/levine/src/nmh/msg part 2, convert iso-8859-1 to UTF-8

In both cases, the UTF-8 output looks fine, I think, e.g.,
    Veuillez ne pas répondre au présent courriel. Il a été généré