[Nmh-workers] Nmh status - working on nmh

From: Jon Steinhart
Subject: [Nmh-workers] Nmh status - working on nmh
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 08:01:01 -0700

Looks like our semi-annual wake-up is happening on time!

I've been using the 1.1 code with no problems for quite a while.
I was unaware that the "final release" has not yet happened.

Is it possible to get this done?  We had trouble a few years ago with a
maintainer who didn't have the time to do the job.  If we're there again
let's pass the torch to someone else.  It would really be nice to have
something later than 1.04 included in Linux releases.

Is there any sort of wish list for nmh development?  I personally don't
see the need for a whole lot since it works pretty well.  I still plan
to improve the interface for reading messages with attachments as I posted
some time back, but this is something that I don't have the time for right
now.  I've seen a number of bug postings so I suppose that those need to be
addressed.  The big thing that I'd like to do, time permitting, is to clean
up the code.  One of the things that holds up my attachment reading changes
is a lack of understanding of exactly what m_getfld() does.  While there are
lots of historical comments in that code, none of them actually describe what
the routine does.  And the optimization that makes the code such a mess is for
long-obsolete computers so it should go away.

Enough rambling for now.

Jon