Re: [Nel] landscape generation

From: Cyril 'Hulud' Corvazier
Subject: Re: [Nel] landscape generation
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 12:10:50 +0200

> Hello everybody
> I nearly to find the way to build own landscape. I have generated a zone ,
> weld , light and imported it into snowball.
> Now i have some collisions problems , i have to rebuild rbank.
> When i ll success may be i make a step by step tutorial to help others.
>
> It s possible to have some documentation about 3D engine , the use of
> farbank , bank , rbank ...
>
> It s possible to deform dynamically zone into client ?

It is not possible to deform dynamically the terrain with correct performances.

You can modify a zone in real time (for exemple, move some patch vertices)
but once done, it will have no effect till you invalidate the patch tesselation
you have modified.
And the tesselation invalidation will block the next render pass for a long
time (depending the zone
complexity), because it will have the recompute all cached tesselation.
In the render pass, the tesselation is updated with a complex incremental
process.

I'm sure it is possible to adapt current algorithms to this problem, but it is
not an easy task.

Cyril Corvazier