nano-devel

[Nano-devel] ^1, ^2, ^3...

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: [Nano-devel] ^1, ^2, ^3...
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 23:13:52 +0200

After pressing lots of keys, I have a few questions:

* How come that ^1, ^9 and ^0 each produce a number, but ^2, ^3 and
^5 seem to do nothing?

* I imagine that ^4, ^6 and ^7 are the legacy of Pico, but that ^8
should do a backspace seems weird.  Is that a legacy too?

* How come that ^6 works together with Shift, but not ^4 and ^7?

* Where in the source is the equivalence of ^_ and ^/ to ^7 defined?

* Wouldn't it be nicer to put ^/ in the main help text for Go To
Line instead of ^_, as it is easier to type on many keyboards (no
Shift) and looks more symmetrical with the next line (^\, Replace)?

* How come that ^~ (Ctrl+Shift+~) is equivalent to ^6?

And one request: what I'd really like to see is that ^C becomes
equivalent to ^X in the file browser and when displaying help.

When I now do for example ^R ^T ^W ^G, I have to hit ^X ^C ^X ^C to
get back to the main editing window.  It would be much nicer if
anywhere in the editor one could simply hit ^C a few times to get
back to the editing window (where ^C then becomes a harmless cursor
position showing key).  This way one could reserve hitting ^X for
exiting from nano, mainly.

Benno