nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] wishlist

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] wishlist
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 22:41:24 +0200

David Lawrence Ramsey wrote:
> Both applied to CVS; thanks.  I made one minor change to the
> second one, though: the verbatim input description still says
> "character(s)" instead of "character" because it can be used to
> insert more than one character at once.  For example, if you
> press an arrow key then, you'll get the entire corresponding
> escape sequence.  Of course, if you have an idea how to describe
> this more clearly, feel free to mention it :)

"Insert the next keystroke verbatim", I would say then.

Looking further, the description of ^M is incorrect, as it does not
insert a carriage return (0d) but a line feed (0a).  Although in my
opinion it is weird that a ^M should insert a ^J: it would be more
logical and more useful if a ^M actually inserted a ^M, but looking
at the code this seems impossible, as ^M and Enter are equivalent.

One question about the code in global.c around line 680:

  #ifndef NANO_TINY
          , IFHELP(nano_refresh_msg, TRUE)
  #else
          , IFHELP(nano_refresh_msg, FALSE)
  #endif

Why these two alternatives when in tiny there is no help anyway, so
having a blank line or not doesn't matter?

Benno