nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] ^1, ^2, ^3...

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] ^1, ^2, ^3...
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 00:11:06 +0200

David Lawrence Ramsey wrote:
[many a thing a bout control keys]

Thanks for the explanations.

> Benno Schulenberg wrote:
>  > * Wouldn't it be nicer to put ^/ in the main help text for Go
>  > To Line instead of ^_, as it is easier to type on many
>  > keyboards (no Shift) and looks more symmetrical with the next
>  > line (^\, Replace)?
>
> Ctrl-- works just as well as Ctrl-_, at least here.

Hmm, indeed on a VT it does.  But not in a Konsole, which is what I
normally use, nor in an xterm.  Ctrl-- then just produces -.

>  > When I now do for example ^R ^T ^W ^G, I have to hit ^X ^C ^X
>  > ^C to get back to the main editing window.  It would be much
>  > nicer if anywhere in the editor one could simply hit ^C a few
>  > times to get back to the editing window (where ^C then becomes
>  > a harmless cursor position showing key).  This way one could
>  > reserve hitting ^X for exiting from nano, mainly.
>
> Awhile ago, nano 1.3.x had this, but I took it out because it got
> too hackish.  Since the hackish areas have been rewritten, it's a
> lot easier to put back in, so it's in CVS now.

Thanks.

Now I have only one more thing to ask, then I'll shut up.  :)
In just about all browsers the space bar scrolls the screen by a
page; less works the same, just like some other programs.  It would
be cool if the help screen of nano would do this too.

Benno