[Monotone-devel] Re: Sanity checking

From: Peter Simons
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: Sanity checking
Date: 13 Apr 2005 15:27:31 +0200

Jon Bright writes:

 > I'm sure Nathaniel won't like the suggestion, but could
 > we maybe consider a --no-sanity-checking-yes-i-realise-
 > this-might-screw-up-my-life-and-eat-helpless-orphans
 > option?

I'm not sure this is a good idea. If there is one thing you
don't want your VC system to do then it is to corrupt your
data. These sanity checks aren't in there just because
everybody is really paranoid, but because they are _needed_.
Invariant failures in Monotone are actually quite frequent.

As much as I love Monotone, I honestly wouldn't recommend
using it for a project of the size and complexity of the
Linux kernel at the moment. Not because it would be slow,
but because it isn't stable yet. A "disable all checks"
option is probably not gonna help matters on that end. ;-)

Peter