Re: [Monotone-devel] Tracking an "vendor branch"

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Tracking an "vendor branch"
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2005 03:39:43 -0700

On Wed, Apr 06, 2005 at 11:04:28PM -0400, Kevin Greiner wrote:
>    I've been lurking here for a couple of months. Given Microsoft's very
>    expensive pricing on their not-yet-released Team System development
>    revision control package, I decided to try & learn more about monotone.

Welcome aboard; hope you like it...

>    I am attempting to familiarize myself with monotone by tracking a Visual
>    SourceSafe repository. I think some version control systems call this
>    making a "vendor branch." My plan is synch MT and VSS at each point
>    release. I got as far as the following.
>
>    1. Copy the 3.0 source tree to a local working directory (say "src")
>    beneath a properly init'd MT directory and run the following commands.
>    mt add src
>    mt --branch=com.bar.foo.ver3 commit --message="version 3.0"
>    mt tag 884f "Foo 3.0 release"

Makes sense.

>    2. Now what? I have a copy of the 3.1 source tree but what do I do with
>    it? The manual (bottom of page 12) says that MT can't deduce file or
>    directory adds, deletes, or renames. But I'm really not interested in
>    manually determining which files were added or renamed between 3.0 and
>    3.1. I mean, there could be dozens of file changes. Surely there is a
>    better way!

Hmm, I'd normally suggest replacing the working copy with the 3.1
source tree, then doing
  $ monotone ls unknown | xargs monotone add
  $ monotone ls missing | xargs monotone drop
but you may not have "xargs" available on Win32.  The next release of
monotone will let you say "--xargs=-" in this situation to get the
same effect, but 0.17 doesn't have that.  I dunno a better way to
script things on Win32.

"The problem...is that sets have a very limited range of
activities -- they can't carry pianos, for example, nor drink
beer."