Re: [Monotone-devel] Removing things from the database

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Removing things from the database
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 02:24:53 -0800

On Thu, Feb 17, 2005 at 10:55:19PM +0100, Christof Petig wrote:
> Ah, that's two different topics here:
>
> Trimming a database locally (to save storage or to forget about unneeded
> branches). Let's call this "trimming"
>
> Renaming or deleting a branch globally (to remove a revision, rename a
> branch, correct an error, forget old revisions after rebuilds etc.) and
> wanting this correction to spread to every synchronized database. Let's
> call this "cert invalidation"

Supporting "anticerts" or whatever you want to call them is a pretty
nest of worms; I'm not convinced the resulting complexity will ever be
worth it, but for now, I think we should at least defer discussion
until after we figure out how monotone's security model should work.
Wrestling out the exact semantics of trust should make us much more
prepared to at least think about what supporting anticerts would
actually involve...

> PS: I am already able to checkout a remote CVS repository
> (rsh,ssh,pserver) and (repeatedly) update to later revisions (on the
> n.v.m.cvssync branch). Pushing changes back into CVS is in the works
> (50% done).
> Caveats: No tag setting, only HEAD branch for now, be careful with big
> projects (see my SIGSEGV thread).

Neat!

Details are all that matters; God dwells there, and you never get to
see Him if you don't struggle to get them right. -- Stephen Jay Gould