Re: [Monotone-devel] Creating Branches & Building Monotone

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Creating Branches & Building Monotone
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 00:23:09 -0800

On Thu, Feb 10, 2005 at 07:10:04PM -0800, Logan Sackette wrote:
> However, I have been unable to pull from a .16 server
> even though I have no problem using it locally.

What happens?  Can you give more details?

> I pulled the monotone sources but couldn't find a
> "configure" file in the source tree.

You need to run "autoreconf --install" to create the various
autogenerated files.

> Secondly, I would like to know how to create a new
> branch  for something I have already committed.
> Basically, I want to do this:
> %monotone --db=proj.db --branch=br1 co tmp
> %monotone --db=proj.db --branch=new_br commit '....'
>
> instead of:
> %monotone --db=proj.db --branch=br1 co tmp
> <some edits/add/drop/rename>
> %monotone --db=proj.db --branch=new_br commit '....'

It might be helpful to add some UI here... maybe "commit" with no
changes, but with a new branch cert, should just cert the parent
revision as being on that branch?

"Lull'd in the countless chambers of the brain,
Our thoughts are link'd by many a hidden chain:
Awake but one, and lo! what myriads rise!
Each stamps its image as the other flies"
  -- Ann Ward Radcliffe, The Mysteries of Udolpho