Re: [Monotone-devel] Concern about LUA & suggestions for command line ou

From: Florian Weimer
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Concern about LUA & suggestions for command line output
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2005 22:36:56 +0100

* Joel Crisp:

> Saw a message a few back about writing output formatters in LUA - the
> place I'm currently working at is balking at Clearcase triggers in perl
> since they can't get anyone with perl experience (!),

Clearcase and Perl expertise don't mix well.  Most Perl mongers are
used to one of the free VC tools (or Perforce, of course).  If the
Clearcase Perl binding is sane, you can hire anyone who can document
Clearcase experience and has written programs in at least three
programming languages (he'll be able to pick up Perl pretty quickly).

For any developer with moderate experience in the field, lack of
documentation of the API is probably a larger barrier than a
non-widely-used imperative language.  Therefore, a documented Lua API
is more practical than an undocumented Perl one. 8-)

> and I've never personally even met _anyone_ with LUA experience.

I have, in an area I didn't expect it (a defense contractor).

> Whilst LUA is a fine language and rapidly gaining acceptance in the
> gaming world, I'd like to propose an alternate scripting API using (sic)
> that PITA of a language Javascript, for the simple reasons that any web
> programmer is going to know it,

Are there any reliable (!) embedded JavaScript interpreters?