[Monotone-devel] Concern about LUA & suggestions for command line output

From: Joel Crisp
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Concern about LUA & suggestions for command line output
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2005 15:54:44 +0000

Hi Guys

Saw a message a few back about writing output formatters in LUA - the place I'm currently working at is balking at Clearcase triggers in perl since they can't get anyone with perl experience (!), and I've never personally even met _anyone_ with LUA experience.

Whilst LUA is a fine language and rapidly gaining acceptance in the gaming world, I'd like to propose an alternate scripting API using (sic) that PITA of a language Javascript, for the simple reasons that any web programmer is going to know it, and also that the wscript scripting host which ships with windows XP+ supports it; these two factors are likely to make it more acceptable to the pointy haired ones despite it being a complete dogs dinner of a language (although it does at least have some reasonable regexp support). There are decent implementations (C, Java) from Mozilla.

BTW, all Clearcase 'ls' type commands support the -fmt option which provides a simple printf type syntax for custom formatting (e.g. cleartool describe -fmt "%On" <file> prints just the oid of the file, or cleartool lstream -fmt "%[activities]Np\n" <stream> lists activities on a stream) - its suprisingly powerful for such a simple concept. and doesn't require any scripting, but is very useful for generating information for shell scripts, or to generate batch files as you can put literals in the format string like commands or newlines.

Joel