Re: [Monotone-devel] Concern about LUA & suggestions for command line ou

From: Matthew A. Nicholson
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Concern about LUA & suggestions for command line output
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2005 15:52:03 -0600

Joel Crisp wrote:
Hi Guys

Saw a message a few back about writing output formatters in LUA - the place I'm currently working at is balking at Clearcase triggers in perl since they can't get anyone with perl experience (!), and I've never personally even met _anyone_ with LUA experience.

Whilst LUA is a fine language and rapidly gaining acceptance in the gaming world, I'd like to propose an alternate scripting API using (sic) that PITA of a language Javascript, for the simple reasons that any web programmer is going to know it, and also that the wscript scripting host which ships with windows XP+ supports it; these two factors are likely to make it more acceptable to the pointy haired ones despite it being a complete dogs dinner of a language (although it does at least have some reasonable regexp support). There are decent implementations (C, Java) from Mozilla.

Not to slam JavaScript or any thing, or lua for that matter which seems to be vastly more powerful than javascript... What about python? Now I know that bundling python with monotone is a no no (more reason to stick with lua), although it is already installed on most linux systems (but then monotone runs on windows to...). But come on, I would go with python long before I even thought about javascript.

What's wrong with lua?

--
Matthew A. Nicholson
Matt-land.com