m17n-list

Re: [m17n-list] Add arrows

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: [m17n-list] Add arrows
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2013 21:29:44 +0900

In article <address@hidden>, Anubhav Chattoraj <address@hidden> writes:

> (Accidentally sent this as a private mail; mailing to the list this time.)
> On Sun, Oct 13, 2013 at 9:17 PM, Kenichi Handa <address@hidden
> <mailto:address@hidden>> wrote:
> I'm now thiking about adding a mechanism to switch to and
> back from another input method by a specific escape key
> (e.g. "/"), and allow users to customize which input method
> to switch by which escape key.

> (Just FYI, Windows' Language Bar already has this feature. Each input
> method can be assigned a unique shortcut key or key combination.)

But, it doesn't allow to switch back to the previous IM
automatically, does it?  For instance, I'd like to provide a
mechanism to input "क→क→क" by typing "ka/->ka/->ka".  Here
"/" is a key to push, for instance, "symbol.mim" input
method, and that input method pops up itself after
committing a character.

> I agree with this, but wonder if this is the right level to implement it
> on. I think we should try to get this implemented in IBus/SCIM instead
> of in m17n.

As I wrote above, what we need is not only switching to.  In
the previous example, the pushed input method "symbol.mim"
must know whether it's pushed or switched.  When just
switched, typing "->->" should produce "→→".  But, when
pushed, after "->" is typed, it must produce "→", terminate
itself, and the previous input method must be activated
again.  If this mechanism is supported by IBus/SCIM, the
change to m17n-lib can be minimum.  But, I'm not sure it's
the right level.

> On 10/14/2013 10:11 PM, विश्वासो वासुकिजः (Vishvas Vasuki) wrote:
> b] We include some switches by default. [Many users don't want to have
> to configure things - Eg: I cannot expect my parents to make even simple
> changes to configuration files.]

> There will certainly be a GUI for configuring these. I'm imagining a
> shortcut selector next to every item in IBus' *Preference* → *Input
> Methods* list.

There is a debian package "m17n-im-config" which provides
GUI for configuring m17n-lib's input methods.  The source is
here:

http://cvs.savannah.gnu.org/viewvc/m17n-im-config/?root=m17n

---
Kenichi Handa