m17n-list

Re: [m17n-list] Add arrows

From: Anubhav Chattoraj
Subject: Re: [m17n-list] Add arrows
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2013 21:48:09 +0530

I was going to suggest using the Compose key instead, but it turns out that this is problematic.

Why I was going to suggest it: It already works out of the box in many Linux distros, the user just has to assign a compose key. Just like in Handa's example, I can type → by typing "<compose>->".

Now, the reasons it's problematic:

Firstly, an IM might override one of the keys in the Compose sequence. For instance, the Devanagari IM I use has > mapped to । (ḍaṇḍā), so typing "<compose>->" doesn't work — The > is interpreted as । instead.

I thought this might be a bug in m17n, but it turns out that this happens even with non-m17n IMs. Might be a problem with IBus.

Secondly, it looks like it's really hard to customize it properly. Look at these threads: [1][2]

Depending on how hard it will be to implement this feature in m17n, it might be worth our time to try fixing the problems with Compose instead.

I'm not sure whether that's a good idea or not, but I think it's worth discussing.

[1] http://askubuntu.com/questions/47496/how-can-i-add-a-custom-compose-key-sequence [2] http://askubuntu.com/questions/135069/custom-compose-key-sequences-without-xim-e-g-in-sublime-text-2