lynx-dev

Fwd: [Lynx-dev] lynx not honoring apache document root path

From: Hendrik-Jan Heins
Subject: Fwd: [Lynx-dev] lynx not honoring apache document root path
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 08:54:58 +0200

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Hendrik-Jan Heins <address@hidden>
Date: 15 jul. 2007 23:11
To: Thomas Dickey <address@hidden>

Thomas,

You seem to be right; it is something with apache.
I just tried lynx on my local machine with apache (debian Sid), and
there it all worked.
Do you have any idea how to proceed to find out what's happening here?

Hendrik-Jan

2007/7/15, Thomas Dickey <address@hidden>:
On Sun, 15 Jul 2007, Hendrik-Jan Heins wrote:

> Hello list,
>
> I just stumbled upon a really weird problem with lynx:
> There is this website: http://linux-wless.passys.nl
> If you go there with lynx, choose for instance the first brandname of
> the list, and submit the query, you get an Apache2 error message of

hmm-

Server: Apache^M

(something odd about that 1981).

> the fact that the link you just requested, doesn't exist.
>
> The weird thing is:
> - the link does exist, and all other browsers I tried, do know how to
> "find" it (firefox, seamonkey, konqueror, elinks, links).

w3m also (which counts more than any of the (e)links(2) variants).

> - lynx is looking for the file in completely the wrong place, namely
> in the root of Apache, not in the root of the domain.
> - It seems that lynx by itself adds a "/" to the name of the file
> - this only seems to happen with links that are <name>.php files and
> not with <name>.html files, as those links work fine

Actually the "GET" in each case puts a "/" in front, whether it's a php
file or a html file.  You can see that in the trace file using

        lynx -trace http://linux-wless.passys.nl

(Whether that's correct or a misfeature/misconfiguration of Apache, I'm
not sure at the moment).