lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] lynx not honoring apache document root path

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] lynx not honoring apache document root path
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2007 12:10:22 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 15 Jul 2007, Hendrik-Jan Heins wrote:

Hello list,

I just stumbled upon a really weird problem with lynx:
There is this website: http://linux-wless.passys.nl
If you go there with lynx, choose for instance the first brandname of
the list, and submit the query, you get an Apache2 error message of

hmm-

Server: Apache^M

(something odd about that 1981).

the fact that the link you just requested, doesn't exist.

The weird thing is:
- the link does exist, and all other browsers I tried, do know how to
"find" it (firefox, seamonkey, konqueror, elinks, links).

w3m also (which counts more than any of the (e)links(2) variants).

- lynx is looking for the file in completely the wrong place, namely
in the root of Apache, not in the root of the domain.
- It seems that lynx by itself adds a "/" to the name of the file
- this only seems to happen with links that are <name>.php files and
not with <name>.html files, as those links work fine

Actually the "GET" in each case puts a "/" in front, whether it's a php
file or a html file.  You can see that in the trace file using

        lynx -trace http://linux-wless.passys.nl

(Whether that's correct or a misfeature/misconfiguration of Apache, I'm not sure at the moment).

I've tried this with several versions, among which:

Lynx Version 2.8.6rel.4
Lynx Version 2.8.5rel.1

Could you please shed some light on this?

Thanks,

Hendrik-Jan