lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV script to convert those =?? to HTML tags [was Re: LYNX-DEV

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV script to convert those =?? to HTML tags [was Re: LYNX-DEV ftp files]
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 1997 08:25:02 +0000 (GMT)

> But just ten minutes ago I got another one
> of these mime things, and traied the
> above mimencode-line on it, and it did
> NOT de-encode the base64 stuff.

They wouldn't.  One was specifically for quoted printable, and the other was
being run with an option to force quoted printable, but you example was
base64, albeit from a mail program that assumes all attachments must be
binary.

If you are running Unix, for basic MIME support you should pipe the whole
message, *including* headers, through metamail.  You might want to note
that the mailcap file used by Lynx is part of the metamail package.

Incidentally, the subject for this message seem to have suffered redundant
MIME encoding (subjects are processed before the Content-Type an Content-
Transfer-Encoding headers, so the encoding has to be self contained.)
Actually it might not be redundant as it contains the special sequence =?,
although not in the full context; you'd have to read the RFC to see whether
it should have been recognized and escaped.

As received:
Subject: Re:  LYNX-DEV
=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Re=3A_script_to_convert_those_=3D=3F=3F_to_H?=
=?ISO-8859-1?Q?TML_tags_=5Bwas_Re=3A_LYNX-DEV_ftp_files=5D?=

Decoded by metamail, this is:
Re:  LYNX-DEV [** ISO-8859-1 charset **] Re: script to convert those =?? to
HTML tags [was Re: LYNX-DEV ftp files]