lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Re: chartrans stuff

From: David Combs
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Re: chartrans stuff
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 1997 14:06:04 -0800 (PST)

It would seem to me that ANY situation that forces
Foteus to react in such a manner is a DISASTER for
lynx!!!!!!!!

Being just a lurker, and user, and not hacking on the
code, I don't really know what this is all about,
except that it is obvious that it is SERIOUS.

It surely not to the advantage of the lynx community
for Foteus to abandon the project BECAUSE he thinks
the code is being DESTROYED by others.

Perhaps it is just a "he said, she said" kind of
disagreement (that is, poorly stated just above (by me),
that there is no ABSOLUTE ONE RIGHT WAY to handle
the coding, or perhaps there IS, and one person
(who?) is just plain WRONG).

How to find out?  Well, there's a fairly large
number of people who have hacked on the code
at one time or another.  THOSE PEOPLE would
be the ones, I think, to decide on the TRUTH
and on the RIGHT WAY TO PROCEED.

Possibly the only way to solve this mess and
be able to proceed into the future with CLEAR code
is for those who understand the code or at least
most of it ACTUALLY MEET somewhere, maybe for
a weekend.

I myself don't know who lives where, but maybe
those who know this code could reply to lynx-dev
and say where they live, and a list be built up
of these addresses and names, and then some
subset of them agree to actually meet and hash
this thing out.

Perhaps even each of us on lynx-dev mailing list
could contribute some $$$ (each according to
his/her ability & size of company's usage of lynx)
to airfares for a meeting -- once we all agree
that the subset looks OK to us.

This lynx program is FAR too important to all of
us to have this kind of conflict either split or
destroy its futher development and bug-fixing.

Please lets get a conversation going and continuing
on this problem -- we cannot allow the code to
go in a way that makes Foteus disavow it all!

That's what I think, anyway.

David Combs  914-632-1883