lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Re: script to convert those =?? to HTML tags [was Re: LYNX

From: Doug Kaufman
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Re: script to convert those =?? to HTML tags [was Re: LYNX-DEV ftp files]
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 1997 17:50:28 -0800 (PST)

On Mon, 22 Dec 1997, David Combs wrote:

> > As the header says, this is MIME quoted-printable.  The number after the
> > = is the hex code of the character.  The program "mimeqp" will decode
> > these, or the  filter mimencode (mmencode) will also do it if invoked
> > "mimencode -u -q <infile>outfile".
> >                                  Doug
>
> I myself have similar questions -- have been
> downloading various programs suggested
> here on lynx-dev, have not yet done make on
> them.
>
> But just ten minutes ago I got another one
> of these mime things, and traied the
> above mimencode-line on it, and it did
> NOT de-encode the base64 stuff.

                             ^^^^^^

This is NOT quoted-printable, this is MIME base64.  Base64 is the usual
mime encoding for binary files.  Quoted-printable is used when there are
a few binary characters in a file that is mostly text.  Munpack will
handle base64 without problems.  For base64 you can also run the whole
encoded file, up to, but not including the line that says
"--0538990917--" through "mimencode -u" as a filter. Do not include any
non-encoded text or an invalid binary file will be produced. The default
is for base64. The "-q" indicates to use quoted-printable.

> DQoNCg0KDQoNCiAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAg
> ICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAxICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAh
> LjogOg0KICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgfiB+ICAgICAgICAgICAg
> ICAgICAgICAgICAgIGkgDQogICAgIEEgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAg
> ICAgICAgICAgICAgICBXaGl0ZSBQbGFpbnMsIE5ZIDEwNjA1DQogICAgICAg
> ICAgICAgICAgICAgTGFpbmENCiAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAg
> ICAgMSAgICAgIA0KICAgICAzNw0KIDM2DQog
> --0538990917--

                                 Doug
__