lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Configure patch for SCO

From: T.E.Dickey
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Configure patch for SCO
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 1997 20:19:26 -0400 (EDT)

> T.E.Dickey wrote:
>
> > I don't think that I have access to any machines with a -lmalloc at the
> > moment (that's just taken from Makefile.old, to cover whatever configuration
> > it was originally added for).
>
> It should be sufficient to see if a trivial program compiles
> successfully with -lmalloc.  If not, no such library exists, so don't
> try to link the final binary with it!
some linkers lie in various interesting ways, so I'd rather know a little
about the library (what externals it's likely to provide) to narrow things
down.  (That's pretty much what the autoconf author decided too, since the
check for a library w/o an entrypoint is marked as an obsolete feature).

> > > If there are problems that affect Lynx, they can be configure-tested...
> > I suppose so - if I know what the symptoms are (the comment was based
> > on email from you, where you recommended using either rcc or gcc because
> > of problems with const/volatile).  I've only built with cc, so I'm not
> > sure what problems there might be (at least it does _compile_ and _run_,
> > though there may indeed be runtime problems that I don't encounter with
> > my short tests).
>
> Ah, jeeze... now I forget whether I was just forwarding information from
> an even older Lynx makefile, or if I'd actually had problems myself.
> Can you forward me that old message of mine (if you still have it)...?
Here's a piece from April 26 (I don't see the original around - I try to
delete things when I've got them addressed, though I have thousands of
messages to go ;-)
        > You can also figure out gcc vs. rcc, on 3.2v4.2: use gcc if available,
        > else rcc.  On OSR5 I recommend you use cc only (user will override if
he
        > prefers gcc).
But I don't see the remark about 'const'/'volatile' -- sorry.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
address@hidden