lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV SSL, Lynx & US Law

From: Larry W. Virden, x2487
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV SSL, Lynx & US Law
Date: Sun, 8 Dec 1996 07:44:35 -0500

Re: isn't all this just an exercise in paranoia?

Nope.  And just because someone hasn't heard of a law won't get them off the
hook if they violate it.  I hope that there isn't any such export encumbering
laws for Canadians, but I _urge_ any one who is considering doing anything
with encryption to check with lawyers who are experienced in such things
before potentially endangering yourselves, your companies, etc.

For instance, apparently there one or more european countries where
it is illegal to even use encryption.  By shipping encryption software in
lynx, folk there could be unknowingly violating their countries laws.
;