lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Update on SSL and Lynx

From: Tom Zerucha
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Update on SSL and Lynx
Date: Sun, 8 Dec 1996 10:29:08 -0500 (EST)

I have been sending out the proxy to those who request it and include the
appropriate boilerplate ("I am a US citizen...").

I now have three versions of the proxy, and Fote has been forwarding me
what he has been doing with an integrated patch and I have been verifying
them.

The first version of the patch is a full system network proxy that does
the lynx SSL stuff, can take over SSL from netscape, form virtual private
networks, and encapsulate your existing smtp, pop3, http, and nntp
services turning them into their secure equivalents - runs on most POSIX
style systems with fork and signals.  Just under 500 lines

The second version is a full lynx proxy.  It only does the lynx portion of
the above proxy, but includes full certificate verification, bad cert
override, and even user certificates.  About 360 lines.

The third is a stripped, minimal version at 100 lines.  It does what the
SSL patched used to (Fote keeps it in a directory overlay form).
Implements SSL, but only verifies the server cert is more or less valid
(i.e. is signed by a CA and has not expired).

address@hidden
finger address@hidden for PGP key

;
;