lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV SSL, Lynx & US Law

From: Michael Richardson
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV SSL, Lynx & US Law
Date: Mon, 09 Dec 1996 09:00:51 -0500

>>>>> "Philip" == Philip Webb <address@hidden> writes:
    Philip> -- so COCOM is a red herring.

  No, it isn't. It is still law. You can still get prosecuted
(criminally, btw), and it is now like the Kafka: apply to this org,
only it doesn't exist.

    >> Additionally, NAFTA has some provisions as well. (Hidden)

  NAFTA says Canada agrees to regularize certain import/export
laws. I.E. we can't repeal our export regulations.

    >> Canadian companies have been charged in the past when they
    >> redirected shipments from the US to Canadian destinations to
    >> non-Canadians.
    Philip> -- who? when? exporting what? to whom? charged in which
    Philip> country?  if it was missile parts to iraq, that's not
    Philip> covered by the same law, not in canada anyway.

  Yes, it is. And the missile parts to iraq were sent when Iraq was an
official friend, btw.

    Philip> Mr Bonomi said 961208 "Canada has a PRECISELY similar law
    Philip> on its books" -- see previous

    Philip> Mr Virden said 961208 "Some European countries make it
    Philip> illegal to use any kind of encryption" -- which countries?
    Philip> serbia? belarus?

  France.

    Philip> encrypt-enabled lynx has reached canada there is NO
    Philip> FURTHER problem IN PRACTICE making it available to the

  I agree. So long as the crypto is not of US origin.
  You can still get yourself extradited to the US.

    Philip> he was locked up in jail.  Big Diplomatic Fuss, fuelled by
    Philip> Canadian media.  eventually the bounter hunters were
    Philip> extradited & jailed by a Canadian court for kidnapping &
    Philip> the wanted man was released & charges against him dropped.

  Whether this will happen again depends on whether or not
Mr. Chretien needs to score any brownie points. This would not have
happened during NAFTA or FTA negotiations, btw.

   :!mcr!:            |  Network security consulting and
   Michael Richardson |      contract programming
 WWW: <A
HREF="http://www.sandelman.ottawa.on.ca/People/Michael_Richardson/Bio.html";>address@hidden</A>.
 PGP key available.

;