[Ltib] empty dirs in ltib mergedir and cvs

From: Andrea Galbusera
Subject: [Ltib] empty dirs in ltib mergedir and cvs
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 15:26:06 +0200

Hi all,
let me first say this is not an ltib defect at all, but I think it may
be of some interest for ltib users, al least for those that are planning
to use their platform mergedir to put any specific mountpoint they want
to be present in their filesystem.

Making empty dirs in merge, committing them to CVS and building your
system will work fine. If you plan to later make a release with -m
release you should be aware of how ltib release will interact with CVS:
in fact your mountpoint won't be present in the BSP you will generate.

If I get it right this is caused by ltib approach in making a release:
ltib will tag your CVS with a release tag and then check out a stage
copy (I'd better say export) of the just tagged release. Digging into
CVS docs I found something I was completely unaware of: updating,
exporting or checking out with -r options to refer to a specific tag
will imply a -P option that will prune empty dirs from the resulting
working copy!

There may be better approach to solve this, but, as far as it concerns
my project I decided to put an hidden empty .keepme file in any of my
mountpoints dirs to avoid having them removed from release checkouts.

Hope this could avoid some headhache to anyone!

Regards,
Andrea