Re: Orchestral strings, how to organise score and parts for divisi, solo

From: Lib Lists
Subject: Re: Orchestral strings, how to organise score and parts for divisi, solos, desks etc.
Date: Thu, 28 May 2020 11:33:56 +0300

On Wed, 27 May 2020 at 18:10, Valentin Villenave <valentin@villenave.net> wrote:

> On 5/27/20, Lib Lists <listslib@gmail.com> wrote:
> > merge the stems so
> > that the final result looks like one voice.
>
> In that case, what you want clearly is \partcombine (\partCombine since 2.21).
>
> If you have more than two voices, then you can always apply another
> \partCombine on top of the first two voices, or use other tricks to
> deal with the more complex situations.

I understand. Unfortunately I cannot find a way to use the
remove-layer technique with \partcombine (see attached file). I'd like
to hide the top staff while maintaining the staff group between bar
19-24 for the difficult passage. Is there a way to achieve this? In
other words there are four notations that I'd need to achieve for
divisi: unisono, divisi (a2, a3, etc.) on same voice & same staff,
divisi on different voices & same staff, divisi on different staves.

> > Finally, adding a \shortInstrumentName in the StaffGroup gives an
> > error, but the resulting pdf is otherwise correct.
>
> instrumentName and shortInstrumentName are both siple property
> definitions, not variables or functions so the \ is not needed; just
>      instrumentName = "something".

That worked, thank you!