Re: Certain accidentals

From: Brian Barker
Subject: Re: Certain accidentals
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2014 14:38:06 +0100

At 14:41 18/04/2014 +0200, Thomas Morley wrote:
But perhaps you are referring to the method of textual input in Lilypond, where notes that are named "sharp" or "flat" need to be qualified as such, notwithstanding what the \key indication would appear already to imply. (In this way, Lilypond operates somewhat counterintuitively and against normal musical thinking.)

seriously?
"against normal musical thinking"??

Certainly! I might not have made myself clear, and no-one needs to take this as a criticism.

But yes: as we all know, in musical notation, once the key signature has appeared, the meaning of the lines and spaces on the stave are redefined to the appropriate sharpened and flattened versions of their natural values. In the Lilypond text file, after a \key indication, the names of the notes still indicate natural versions. In musical notation, sharps and flats are indicated only as accidentals; in Lilypond input notation, they always need indicating.

The Learning Manual says: "New users are often confused by [accidentals and key signatures]" and "The key signature only affects the printed accidentals, not the note's pitch! This is a feature that often causes confusion to newcomers, ...". I was merely referring to this difficulty.

Look at the output of

{ \key g\major g''2. fis''4 g''1 }

Do you really _think_ g f g while playing/singing? Can't believe that.

No - certainly not (though I know people who do!). You are quite right not to believe I could be that foolish. But there is still a difference in the representations: in musical notation, a note on the F line after a key signature of G major represents an F#; in Lilypond notation, an F after \key g\major represents F natural. Why else would the manual suggest this might "cause confusion"?

Well, it can be more typing, I don't want it different, though.

I also made no suggestion of any change.

Brian Barker