Re: Certain accidentals

From: David Nalesnik
Subject: Re: Certain accidentals
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2014 07:57:35 -0500

Hi,

On Fri, Apr 18, 2014 at 7:41 AM, Thomas Morley <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi Brian,

> But perhaps you are referring to the method of textual input in Lilypond,
> where notes that are named "sharp" or "flat" need to be qualified as such,
> notwithstanding what the \key indication would appear already to imply.  (In
> this way, Lilypond operates somewhat counterintuitively and against normal
> musical thinking.)

seriously?
"against normal musical thinking"??

Look at the output of

{ \key g\major g''2. fis''4 g''1 }

Do you really _think_ g f g while playing/singing?
Can't believe that.

In my experience, speaking that sort of thing--calling F-sharp "F"--goes hand in hand with a tendency to forget accidentals, to miss them when analyzing chords.  (And inwardly it makes me cringe :) )

Imho, it's the opposite, printing fis from { \key g\major f''4 } would
be counterintuitively.

Well, it can be more typing, I don't want it different, though.

+1000

-David