Re: Lilypond for Apple Processor

From: Jonas Hahnfeld
Subject: Re: Lilypond for Apple Processor
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2023 14:03:48 +0100

On Thu, 2023-03-02 at 02:28 +0100, Ben wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> Thanks for the list.
>
> I would be interested in a version of lilypond natively for
> Apple processors.
>
> I work with a mac M1 and if someone explains me the procedure
> for the compilation, I can gladly compile this version myself.

Sorry for the very late reply!

Thanks to Jean, I was able to find the thread on lilypond-user-fr:
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user-fr/2023-03/msg00018.html

In short, as also discussed in there, the x86 binaries will also work
on ARM, thanks to Apple's translation layer. For now, this should cover
the most urgent use cases.

Of course, it would be nice to provide native ARM binaries for macOS
because sooner or later, Apple will want to remove the x86 translation.
There are currently two blockers for this:
a) The scripts in release/binaries need to produce a working version
for macOS ARM. Jacques Menu had a try on this some time ago, but if I
re-read the discussion correctly (which was off-list, unfortunately)
Ghostscript did not build back then. This needs to be figured out.
b) I need to have access to a machine where I can build official
binaries during the release process. Alternatively, but less preferred
(because it requires synchronization and introduces delays), somebody
else will need to build the binaries. However, depending on need, this
would probably be feasible at least for the stable releases. But let's
worry about this after a) is solved.

Cheers
Jonas