Re: tie over clef change

From: Kevin Barry
Subject: Re: tie over clef change
Date: Sat, 26 Sep 2020 19:58:28 +0100

On Sat, 26 Sep 2020 at 19:30, Hans Åberg <haberg-1@telia.com> wrote:

> > I disagree.  For all practical purposes in standard classical music,
> > enharmonic equivalents *do* sound the same.  What you are referring to
> > IMHO is a special case that might be controlled by a flag.
>
> They do not, and the string section, that primarily stands for the pitch
> reference, trains to slide the pitch appropriately:

In some contexts a notated D sharp and E flat are the same pitch (e.g.
equally tempered piano music) and in some they are not (as you pointed
out). Since this is a discussion about ties, where the note is the
same by definition, we can assume we are dealing with the same pitch.
The question isn't whether it's a tie or a slur, but how LilyPond
should render a tie when the two notes are not aligned (i.e. the user
has entered a "~" indicating that it's a tie).

I agree with Gould that ties across clef changes should be avoided (I
personally wouldn't even do it in the Liszt example posted), but I
think LilyPond needs to handle it. I think it's quite acceptable to
detect this situation and switch to using a slur (but I haven't looked
at the code).

Kevin