Re: tie over clef change

From: Lukas-Fabian Moser
Subject: Re: tie over clef change
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2020 12:39:57 +0200

The tonal center collapse is done purely vocally in an a cappella
passage and when the instruments come back in, it's in a resurrection
key and instrument groups (like brass) that are typical for it.

[...]

Here is a link <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixFCKKIMvkk> to a
Herreweghe version.  The piano extract displayed in parallel would
suggest that there is, after all, an instrumental part even in the 2:30
and finally 3:00 (or so) locations which is a bit surprising to me since
I remember how we fought keeping the intonation in line so that the
resurrection trumpets could fall right in.  I cannot hear instruments
there right now but I have only builtin speakers at low volume right now
so I may be wrong about that.

It's a cappella plus (un-figured) Continuo essentially doubling the choir bass:

The presence of the Continuo should mean "let the continuo band play along"; while there is no explicit indication as to which instrument(s) should be used (at least in the Bärenreiter score), the repeated crochets-with-slurs clearly indicate that Bach expects a bowed instrument.

In Herreweghe's rendering, I hear cello (original continuo line) plus organ (playing the complete chords).

Lukas