Re: xdvipdfmx fails with some regtests (“Invalid object”)

From: Valentin Villenave
Subject: Re: xdvipdfmx fails with some regtests (“Invalid object”)
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2020 00:23:59 +0200

On 6/17/20, Valentin Villenave <valentin@villenave.net> wrote:
> `make doc’ has been broken for nearly a week on my system (even with a
> clean git clone), with the following error:
>
> xdvipdfmx:fatal: typecheck: Invalid object type: -1 7 (line 2161)

Git bisect actually tells me that xdvipdfmx started misbehaving from
the same commit that caused gs issues:

017927b4d63c317e1fc450be2537ccc058072538 (HEAD)
    Author: Han-Wen Nienhuys <hanwenn@gmail.com>
    Date:   Fri Jun 5 20:36:42 2020 +0200
    Unify calling convention for command-line and API GS use

Jonas reverted some parts of that with MR !148, but that particular
issue was left unaddressed.  That affects xdvipdfmx svn/20190225,
which is shipped with Fedora 32, and with a more recent build from the
2020 texlive release (20200315). (Now, I haven’t been able to
reproduce it on LilyDev so other libraries may be a factor as well.)

It already took me many hours to find the eight regtests that trigger
this, but there are also many snippets and NR ly blocks, which I won’t
be able to track down :-/

Cheers,
-- V.