Re: Address output-distance problems: (issue 563730043 by address@hidden

From: jonas . hahnfeld
Subject: Re: Address output-distance problems: (issue 563730043 by address@hidden)
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2020 02:52:31 -0700

On 2020/03/12 09:33:43, hahnjo wrote:
> On 2020/03/12 09:22:09, dak wrote:
> > On 2020/03/12 08:01:03, hahnjo wrote:
> > > This looks like bash-ism which might explain why it works for
Han-Wen and
> me.
> > > agree with him that disabling the local-test invocation in
GNUmakefile.in is
> > > probably the easiest solution for now. These tests haven't run for
years, so
> > > we'll definitely be fine without them for a few more days.
> >
> > dak@lola:/usr/local/tmp/lilypond$ dash
> > $ echo {1,2,3}
> > {1,2,3}
> > $
> >
> > Ah yes.  Since /bin/sh defaults to dash on Ubuntu (or doesn't it any
more?), I
> > wonder how this escaped testing.
>
> It wasn't tested, that's the point: The initial patch only received a
> 'test-baseline' and no 'check' which didn't trigger the python tests.
> 'patchy-staging' only runs 'test' as far as I understand, so that
patch landed
> in master. Now this patch adds it to 'test' which means it's the first
time
> somebody runs it on Ubuntu.
> I'm for disabling it again until it receives sufficient testing.
Either in
> current master removing 'local-check' from 'scripts/build/GNUmakefile'
or taking
> the updated patchset from here without the 'local-test' recursion in
> GNUmakefile.in

To be clear: I'm not blaming anyone, least of all James; 'test-baseline'
really was the best way possible to test the initial patch before
Han-Wen added compatibility code. IMO this just happens to be a bad
coincidence of two problems: The test not running from 'make test', but
only 'make check'; and the test not working on Ubuntu at all.

https://codereview.appspot.com/563730043/