Re: add some rarely used mensural clefs (issue 330120043 by address@hidd

From: Benkő Pál
Subject: Re: add some rarely used mensural clefs (issue 330120043 by address@hidden)
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2017 20:45:19 +0200

All,

>> Phil, whatever you can offer to help. I know nothing about Ancient music
>> typesetting and was just basing my additions on what was already in the
>> NR. I had asked a few years ago for some help with the Ancient music NR
>> section

oh, sorry, I missed it.  I'm glad to help (I guess that would mainly
be explaining things about ancient notation).

>> as it really is looking rather odd and has not had any of the
>> tidying up work that I did with Graham all those years ago because only
>> a few people knew enough to know what was wrong or could be improved.
>>
>> I assumed (incorrectly as it turned out) that the #'mensural value was
>> generic for all ancient music types and that it was the clef
>> name/settings that made the output 'Gregorian' vs 'Mensural'. :)

It's the notehead style: vaticana, medicaea, solesmes and hufnagel are
for gregorian, mensural, neomensural and petrucci for mensural music.
I'm not at all sure about kievan -- it seems mensural, but I may well
be mistaken.

>> Although there are a lot of diffs, they are mainly just cut/paste edits
>> so if you can give me some broad education on what values I need to use
>> for a given set of keys sigs that should be enough than you go through
>> every single edit line by line.
>> I ordered the clefs as they appeared in the scm file rather than any
>> alphabetical or notational style order.

I think that's a good order.

>> I figured it would be easier to
>> correct someone's work than get a developer to do the edits themselves,
>> so have at it, let me know what I need to change.
>>
>> To save you (and anyone else who may want to help) you can download what
>> the table looks like when it is compiled from here:
>>
>> https://cloud.woelkli.com/s/dBGXat0NEGVoy5C
>>
>> This is just that Clef section in the appendix so it is a small PDF.

Grouping and ordering is fine.

>> Otherwise tell me what I need to fix or what is not correct etc.
>>
>> If you think removing notes would be better (in this appendix) then I
>> can simply use 'spacers' (or if lilypond-book allows it, nothing at
>> all).
>>
>> James
>

> I'll have a look at sending you some suggested changes tomorrow - I'm in all
> day so this will be something to work on.
>
> I think the notes add some value, since they show where middle C is with the
> relevant clef.

Agreed.