Re: add some rarely used mensural clefs (issue 330120043 by address@hidd

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: add some rarely used mensural clefs (issue 330120043 by address@hidden)
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2017 15:49:58 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>; <address@hidden>
Cc: <address@hidden>; <address@hidden>
Sent: Tuesday, September 12, 2017 3:39 PM

Phil, whatever you can offer to help. I know nothing about Ancient music
typesetting and was just basing my additions on what was already in the
NR. I had asked a few years ago for some help with the Ancient music NR
section as it really is looking rather odd and has not had any of the
tidying up work that I did with Graham all those years ago because only
a few people knew enough to know what was wrong or could be improved.

I assumed (incorrectly as it turned out) that the #'mensural value was
generic for all ancient music types and that it was the clef
name/settings that made the output 'Gregorian' vs 'Mensural'. :)
Although there are a lot of diffs, they are mainly just cut/paste edits
so if you can give me some broad education on what values I need to use
for a given set of keys sigs that should be enough than you go through
every single edit line by line.

I ordered the clefs as they appeared in the scm file rather than any
alphabetical or notational style order. I figured it would be easier to
correct someone's work than get a developer to do the edits themselves,
so have at it, let me know what I need to change.

To save you (and anyone else who may want to help) you can download what
the table looks like when it is compiled from here:

https://cloud.woelkli.com/s/dBGXat0NEGVoy5C

This is just that Clef section in the appendix so it is a small PDF.

Otherwise tell me what I need to fix or what is not correct etc.

If you think removing notes would be better (in this appendix) then I
can simply use 'spacers' (or if lilypond-book allows it, nothing at
all).

James

I'll have a look at sending you some suggested changes tomorrow - I'm in all day so this will be something to work on.

I think the notes add some value, since they show where middle C is with the relevant clef.

--
Phil Holmes