Re: Next step for easier custom music font switching

From: Abraham Lee
Subject: Re: Next step for easier custom music font switching
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2014 14:37:33 -0006

Janek,

Thanks for your thoughts.

On Sun, Jul 20, 2014 at 3:47 AM, Janek Warchoł <address@hidden> wrote:
Btw, just to make sure: have you seen
https://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=4014 ?

Yeah, I saw that and I think it's awesome!

A thought: i'm missing the possibility to set the weight of the music
font used by LilyPond for a particular score.  In other words: let's

‘2’
Yeah, that makes sense. That's exactly how Feta (Emmentaler) is designed. Each optical size has a different weight, where "heavier" ones are designed for smaller print sizes and "lighter" ones are designed for larger print sizes. In the font files, they are actually the same size. The challenge here is how each of the glyphs get "heavier" or "lighter". This is a non-trivial design problem. I guess we could use FontForge's ability to uniformly change a font's weight, but I think this automagic change might not be what we really want (maybe it is). If you look at what changes the weights of the different optical text fonts, you'll find it's more than just making all the lines thicker (which is what FontForge does). Even Feta doesn't change like this through the different sizes. It changes more in some places than in others, preserving certain features and highlighting others. It's a complicated task. I really, REALLY like the idea of optical fonts, but I'm not sure if they should be required due to the design challenge associated with them. By comparison, you won't find many optical text fonts out there for this very reason.

Originally, when I was making Cadence, this is what I wanted to do, and maybe I still will, but it takes a TON more effort to make eight different fonts that differ by intentional weight changes than just using the same one. Not the ideal result, I agree, but I'm not sure what else to do about that. If we wanted to spend the time to really design the optical sizes for each font family, then, yeah, being able to specify a heavier optical weight at a size that differs from its intended size might be helpful, but just ask Han-wen, et al. about the effort that went into making all the different optical sizes for Feta. I'm not sure if this capability would be useful for some time.

Regards,
Abraham