Re: Next step for easier custom music font switching

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Next step for easier custom music font switching
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2014 18:42:20 +0200

Urs Liska <address@hidden> writes:

> On 19. Juli 2014 16:48:55 MESZ, tisimst <address@hidden> wrote:
>>So, Urs and I have been discussing how we might proceed to make
>>alternate
>>music fonts more publicly available and I thought I'd bring the
>>discussion
>>here since there are some decisions to be made regarding how users
>>would
>>experience the change.
>>
>>- Question 1: *Should the new syntax be something like this?* (where
>>the
>>music and piano-brace fonts are put at the first)
>>
>>\paper {
>>  #(define fonts
>>    (make-pango-font-tree
>>    *"lilyjazz"*  ; music font
>>    *"gonville"*  ; piano brace font
>>    "FreeSerif"
>>    "FreeSans"
>>    "Inconsolata"
>>    (/ staff-height pt 20)))
>>}
>>

> An alternative that should be mentioned is having the music fonts last
> and optional. This seems practical because it is probably much more
> regular to change text fonts than music fonts.

Possibly using named arguments, so

(make-pango-font-tree "FreeSerif" "FreeSans" "Inconsolata"
   #:music "lilyjazz" #:brace "gonville")

Though I am not overly happy with what would be the required and what
would be the optional font arguments.

Maybe recycling the same function name is not really worth the trouble.
A backward compatible interface seems to create more trouble than it
solves.