Re: Next step for easier custom music font switching

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Next step for easier custom music font switching
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2014 18:37:22 +0200

On 19. Juli 2014 16:48:55 MESZ, tisimst <address@hidden> wrote:
>So, Urs and I have been discussing how we might proceed to make
>alternate
>music fonts more publicly available and I thought I'd bring the
>discussion
>here since there are some decisions to be made regarding how users
>would
>experience the change.
>
>- Question 1: *Should the new syntax be something like this?* (where
>the
>music and piano-brace fonts are put at the first)
>
>\paper {
>  #(define fonts
>    (make-pango-font-tree
>    *"lilyjazz"*  ; music font
>    *"gonville"*  ; piano brace font
>    "FreeSerif"
>    "FreeSans"
>    "Inconsolata"
>    (/ staff-height pt 20)))
>}

An alternative that should be mentioned is having the music fonts last and
optional. This seems practical because it is probably much more regular to
change text fonts than music fonts.

>- Question 2: *Should we require the new fonts to be in the same folder
>as
>Emmentaler?* Most users won't know where this is and would more likely
>want
>to just install the fonts in the usual system fonts folder with all the
>other text fonts. Pango seems to know where this folder is, so it
>wouldn't
>need to be hard-coded like it currently is in "lily/font-config.cc".

This would be _very_ useful, not only because it's easier to install but also
because it wouldn't be pverwritten by a new LilyPond version.

Best
Urs