Re: fix Issue 2462. (issue 108280044 by address@hidden)

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: fix Issue 2462. (issue 108280044 by address@hidden)
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2014 23:38:19 +0200

I'm sorry, i mistakenly clicked "send" too early...

> That's actually not what i want to do; I apologize for being unclear.
> I *want* the columns to behave the same way in case of both
> accidentals and lyrics (and everything else).  The desired behaviour
> is that changing min_distance shouldn't affect ideal distance.
>
> Achieving this behaviour when columns are wide due to lyrics is
> simple:

Achieving this behaviour when columns are wide due to lyrics is
simple: this patch does this.  However, i didn't manage to fix the
problem for other cases: when i try removing similar lines of code
(e.g. line 120 in merge_springs), the 2462 issue becomes fixed indeed
(i.e. changing min_distance doesn't affect ideal distance), but there
are side effects (too tight spacing in some cases, for example in
beam-rest-extreme.ly) which i'm unable to fix.

After looking at the code and thinking for several hours, it seems
that this problem is too hard for me at the moment :( - i don't know
how to change the code in a way that completely fixes 2462 but doesn't
introduce unwanted side-effects.  As i wrote in a previous email, my
cousin Franek started working on this issue as well, but he got stuck
too (and he's away for at least a week right now).

So, since fixing the whole issue is beyond my capabilities at the
moment, i suggest to fix half of the issue by removing this one line.
Obviously, the downside is that the code would become inconsistent,
but maybe the partial improvement is worth it.

Is the situation clearer now?

thanks for review,
Janek