Re: fix Issue 2462. (issue 108280044 by address@hidden)

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: fix Issue 2462. (issue 108280044 by address@hidden)
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2014 23:26:33 +0200

Hi Keith,

> On Wed, 02 Jul 2014 23:56:20 -0700, <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>>> you should try
>>> to make the change consistently everywhere ?
>>
>> Yes, that's what i'm aiming for.  However, as you remember, some of
>> these changes produce unwanted side-effects
>
> I remember you said there were side effects, but you did not until now
> say what they were.

I apologize - i mistakenly thought you saw the regtest results back
then.  Now i realize that you couldn't have seen them.

> You say you want ideal spacing to be at least as large as the required
> 'rod' that prevents collisions, if the collisions involve accidentals,
>
>> 0.3 is needed to "slow down" approaching min_distance_, for example in
>> beam-rest-extreme.ly - because of the accidentals and suspended notes,
>> the min_distance_ is bigger than distance_, which means that even for
>> "natural" (ragged-right) spacing the springs would be set to the min
>> distance (making the accidentals touch previous notes).  We want to add
>> some space [to the ideal distance_ -KOH], so that the accidentals
>> willtouch previous notes only when there is a significant compressing force.
>
> but not if the note-columns are wide due to lyrics.

>> When objects like lyrics are added to the PaperColumns, LilyPond inserts
>> rods between these columns to ensure that the objects won't overlap.
>> However, the ideal distance should remain unchanged.
>
> It is surprising that you distinguish those cases by lengthening the ideal
> spacing in  merge_springs() but not lengthening the ideal spacing in
> set_blocking_force().

That's actually not what i want to do; I apologize for being unclear.
I *want* the columns to behave the same way in case of both
accidentals and lyrics (and everything else).  The desired behaviour
is that changing min_distance shouldn't affect ideal distance.

Achieving this behaviour when columns are wide due to lyrics is
simple: th, but i don't know how to achieve the desired behaviour
(i.e.