Re: Python 3 support

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Python 3 support
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2014 20:40:16 +0100

Julien Rioux <address@hidden> writes:

> On Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 12:44 PM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
>

>> That's not quite the same as "we already have hosting, a platform for
>> contribution and review comments".  Everything beyond the content in
>> private repositories is gone if a project is removed.  And "we have" is
>> a bit of a euphemism for proprietary software run on a proprietary
>> service with a proprietary data store for everything but the central
>> repository itself.  It's more like "we are permitted to use".
>>
>> Of course, with Savannah we have the same situation regarding the "we
>> are permitted to use" angle, but the motivations for the permission are
>> different.  That makes me feel more at home.
>>

> Again, if you're keen on providing hosting elsewhere, why not go for
> it. My point of view says it is not worth it, yours differ.

I'm not likely to invest myself much with GUB myself.  The main
incentive would be to do this as part of trying to align oneself closer
with the GNU project in the hope/expectations that others use and
contribute to GUB as a consequence.

How much the LilyPond project would be profiting as a result if at all
is not something I can really estimate.  It is clear that at the current
point of time, not much is happening with GUB, but it's not all that
clear that other people's work on GUB would in turn help LilyPond's use
case.

> I'll be glad if we get back on thread.

Well, you were talking about a github-internal move.  First step would
likely be to communicate with Phil and figure out what GUB repository he
is actually working with.  His internet provider apparently is currently
Ddos-attacked, so we probably need to wait until this calms down.