Re: Python 3 support

From: Julien Rioux
Subject: Re: Python 3 support
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2014 10:10:58 -0400

On Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 6:24 AM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
Julien Rioux <address@hidden> writes:

> (BTW moving GUB to a user-agnostic home such as
> https://github.com/lilypond

> would make sense to avoid such confusion.  After Jan went mostly
> inactive, Graham took over as the "official" home, but he is now
> himself going into inactivity)

Should we try asking Savannah, either non-GNU or GNU?  How much work
would it be to meet Savannah's licensing/guideline restrictions
regarding binary blobs and stuff?  How many of those are
LilyPond-specific?

If there are technically unavoidable obstacles, the special strategical
significance of GUB might still make it possible to negotiate about the
hosting with Richard Stallman, currently the ultimate decision maker.

I think that cross-platform support is currently troublesome for enough
projects that the "compile under GNU/Linux, provide everywhere" approach
of GUB would mean a significant concentration of efforts for other GNU
projects as well.

If you are keen on it, why not? Not sure if it's worth the trouble, though: Maybe more visibility would bring GUB more workers, and in that vein endorsement by a big player would be a boost. Unfortunately, I'm not sure GUB has a strong significance anymore. With no maintainer, no support team, virtually no devs, it's not attractive for new projects, which then opt for other cross-build solutions instead.

The current hosting situation isn't bad that we need to take such important actions with savannah. With github, we already have hosting, a platform for contribution and review comments, and relatively strong visibility, at no effort from us. It seems there is confusion about who owns the "official" repo, which is easily solved if we move the repo from an individual to an organization. And since it's literally a click or two to do that, I though I would suggest it in passing. Anyway, we're sidestepping.

Regards,
Julien