Re: stencil-integral: use box extents specified in markup; issue 3255 (i

From: dak
Subject: Re: stencil-integral: use box extents specified in markup; issue 3255 (issue 9295044)
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2013 09:39:06 +0000

On 2013/08/30 08:55:15, mike7 wrote:
On 30 août 2013, at 10:11, mailto:address@hidden wrote:

> On 2013/08/30 07:41:49, mike7 wrote:
>
>> I'd still argue that (2) is the best way to go as it is a
> one-stop-shopping way
>> to clear all these bugs (and perhaps more) as they arise.
>
> Since we are currently in the process of recovering from the last
> one-stop-shopping way to clear bugs galore which is where all those
> regressions are actually from,

The skyline code was not written to address bugs.

Neither is this here.  We are talking about changing established
behavior to something different.  And the motivation for that _is_ the
responsibility of the skyline code.

But if you want a "one-stop-shopping way to clear bugs galore" from
which we are still recovering, take a look at issue 3199.  It's
responsible for at least issues 3359, 3360, 3385 and was pushed
without even waiting for the review to clear.

LilyPond's previous spacing algorithms weren't buggy - they were
just less snug than they are now.

"Snug" reminds me of issue 2527, another problem solver responsible
for issues 3363, 3465, 3497.

> I suggest that we refrain from embracing your somewhat optimistic
> estimates until after wrapping up a stable release.

I don't see the relationship between the two.

Which makes it a good thing that you are not pursuing a career as
project manager.

At any rate, we are trying to stabilize our code base in a timely
manner suitably for a stable release, and the established track record
of ingenious solutions solving all problems in one fell swoop does not
suggest that this is the way to go.

https://codereview.appspot.com/9295044/