Re: stencil-integral: use box extents specified in markup; issue 3255 (i

From: Keith OHara
Subject: Re: stencil-integral: use box extents specified in markup; issue 3255 (issue 9295044)
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2013 02:28:49 -0700

On Thu, 29 Aug 2013 23:57:59 -0700, Mike Solomon <address@hidden> wrote:

On 30 août 2013, at 07:49, "Keith OHara" <address@hidden> wrote:

It hurts very little to find ourselves stuck with a second-choice
implementation in this case.
We won't know what our first-choice implementation is unless we see some
application examples in this area.

To me, the question is "Is the implementation of (2) inferior to (1) to the point
where we'd like to allow certain bugs to persist?"  My answer is no - LilyPond has
already a practice of creating placeholder stencils whose sole purpose is to reserve
space and (2) is in this vein.  (2) does for skylines what the empty-stencil does for
dimensions.  Additionally, (2) clears all the stencil-related skyline bugs on the
tracker, whereas (1) does not.

Well, approach (1) with boxes solves the \page-ref and \with-dimensions bugs,
and restores the behavior of \transparent to what we had in version 2.16.

Approach (2) with stencil-expressions also fixes issue 3255 as requested, but
that bug report was written to describe what approach (2) can do.   Does any
music typesetting application benefit from fixing issue 3255 as requested ?