Re: colorful make output! yum!

From: Franciszek Boehlke
Subject: Re: colorful make output! yum!
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2013 01:34:33 +0200

Hi,

thanks for your replies, and thanks Janek for pushing and advertising my patch :)

Janek has pushed a bit newer version just a few minutes ago (it doesn't change anything important, just colorizes 2 more rules, and everything is squashed into one commit).

We have enough trouble maintaining our toolchain as it is.

I don't think these changes will have significant influence (if any) on maintaining troubles, as they don't really change anything. They only hides output, which in most cases I find rather useless and only obfuscating usable information (especially in multithreaded build, when outputs from different recipes mix together). It should be easy to make this change toggable by just one make variable.

The result looks nice but if you want any chance of putting this in, it
should be rewritten as a make post-processor (IMHO of course), think

    make | build/aux/colorful.py

I like the idea of making is make post-processor, but I don't think it's possible to do - and if not, it is much, much harder way.

Cheers,
Franek