Re: Add new merge-function.ly file for rests (issue4005046)

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Add new merge-function.ly file for rests (issue4005046)
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2011 17:20:44 +0000

> No problem. What would be the best thing to do with this 'code' would
> putting the 'patch' I have on the tracker issue, with explanation and
> appropriate comments from this Rietveld thread, be the right thing if
> only to save re-doing more work for anyone who'd like to tackle this?

Could do.  I think that the main point of doing this would be to
motivate somebody to look at the engraver stuff -- "hey, James did a
fair amount of work on this and showed that he was serious; I'll
tackle this new feature request instead of some other one".

> Seems a waste to just close this inasmuch I as a lot of the grunt work
> has been done; or maybe not - it wasn't a waste for me in terms of
> learning though.

One definite benefit would be if you wrote a few words about what you
just did.  Find somewhere in the CG programming chapter, or maybe even
make your own @node @subsection or @subsubsection or something like
that, and put down a few notes about what you just did.

Once you actually know what you're doing, this kind of grunt work only
takes a few minutes.  The difficult thing is discovering *what* work
to do, and that's what the CG is for.

Cheers,
- Graham