Re: flags,beams and stem length in forced directions - output improvemen

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: flags,beams and stem length in forced directions - output improvement
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2011 06:42:04 +0100 (CET)

> umm... DVI output?  I've searched the manuals and didn't found how
> to achieve it :/

In one of my previous mails I gave you a recipe how to produce a
`proof' version of the font using `mf' and `gftodvi'.  It doesn't help
to get the exact outline since it is always based on the rasterized
output of `mf', but it nicely shows the construction points (if
possible).

>>  FONTFORGE=foo mf2pt1 --rounding=0.0001 <mf-font>   ,
>>
>> do you see the irregularity if you open the font with fontforge?
>
> Yes, i attach a screenshot. The font file is here:
> http://www.mediafire.com/?hadr9nt5w5iqulb

Looking at the image, I see that you haven't followed my advice since
all overlapping outlines have been removed already.  Using the
`FONTFORGE=foo' environment setting while calling mf2pt1 prevents this
so that you get the direct output of mf2pt1 without postprocessing
with fontforge.  And yes, it should really be `foo', a non-existent
program name.

To set up mf2pt1 so that you can call it manually in an easy way,
please execute

  mpost -progname=mpost -ini mf2pt1.mp \\dump

in the `mf' subdirectory (lilypond does this in the `mf/out' directory
during `make all').

>> You might try the recent CVS version of fontforge which has a lot
>> of fixed issues.  Don't forget to pass `--enable-double' to the
>> `configure' script of fontforge.
>
> Umm.. i'm afraid i don't understand :(

1. Check out the CVS sources of fontforge:

     cvs -d:pserver:address@hidden:/cvsroot/fontforge login
     cvs -z3 -d:pserver:address@hidden:/cvsroot/fontforge co -P fontforge

2. Change to the freshly created `fontforge' directory and configure
   the program with

     ./configure --enable-double

   then build the program with

     make

   If the configure script complains it is necessary to install
   additional packages to fulfill all dependencies (probably missing
   `*-devel' packages so that the necessary C header files are
   provided for compiling).  After installing a new package, simply
   rerun `./configure --enable-double' until it succeeds.

3. Finally, install it with

     sudo make install

Assuming that you are originally using a fontforge package from your
GNU/Linux distribution, your original binary is in /usr/bin/fontforge.
Now you have a new, additional binary in `/usr/local/bin/fontforge'.
You might add `--prefix=/your/preferred/directory/tree' to the
configure script if you want a different location than `/usr/local'.

    Werner